
Cambria Hotel Paignton: Your Dream UK Getaway Awaits!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the Cambria Hotel Paignton! "Your Dream UK Getaway Awaits!" they say, and honestly? After my stay, I have thoughts. Big, sprawling, sometimes contradictory, and frequently caffeinated thoughts.
First Impressions & The Rambling Begins…
Let's be honest, the dream UK getaway is a myth, a fleeting butterfly of perfectly planned itineraries and weather that cooperates. Real life is more…well, it's a bit like my luggage after a flight: slightly disheveled, potentially missing a key item (usually a charger), and carrying a lingering scent of…adventure?
The Cambria? It tries to be that dream. Right off the bat, the location is a winner. Paignton itself is cute as a button, a classic seaside town. And the hotel? It’s perched nicely. This whole "dream getaway" thing is aspirational, you see? It's not like you arrive and angels burst from the lobby with harps.
Accessibility and Getting In:
- Accessibility: Alright, let's get practical. Wheelchair accessible? Yep. Elevator? Absolutely. Important stuff for anyone with mobility concerns. I saw some happy folks navigating the hotel with ease. High five for that.
- Check-in/out [express/private]: Efficient. No endless queues, which is a genuine bonus. The staff? Pretty friendly and helpful, which, let's be honest, is essential after a long journey.
- Car Park & Getting Around: Free parking is a godsend! Car park [on-site]? Yes. Car power charging station? Bonus points for being forward-thinking. Airport transfer, Taxi service and Bicycle Parking are all available as well!
The Rooms - My Sanctuary (Mostly):
Okay, so I’m a stickler for a decent room. Give me space, give me peace, give me…a good coffee maker.
Available in all rooms:
- Additional toilet: Excellent. No sharing drama.
- Air conditioning: Crucial in the height of summer (or even a freakishly warm spring day).
- Alarm clock: Useful, unless you're like me and mostly rely on the panic button in your brain.
- Bathrobes: Nice touch! Luxurious.
- Bathroom phone: Seriously? Who calls the bathroom?! Weird.
- Bathtub/Separate shower/bathtub. Yes and yes! Essential for a good soak with bubbles!
- Blackout curtains: Hallelujah! (For those of us who value sleep).
- Carpeting: Standard, clean.
- Closet: Needed, and enough space.
- Coffee/tea maker & Complimentary tea: YES! This is the stuff of dreams. I'm a caffeine fiend.
- Daily housekeeping: They kept up. Impressive.
- Desk, High floor, Ironing facilities. All good standard.
- Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, and Wi-Fi [free]: Free Wi-Fi everywhere! Score! I could update my Insta with pictures of endless tea cups.
- Laptop workspace: Helpful for the few sneaky work emails I had to address.
- Linens: Crisp and clean.
- Mini bar: Standard.
- Mirror: Needed.
- Non-smoking: Thank goodness.
- On-demand movies: Tempting.
- Private bathroom: Obvious, but important.
- Reading light: Crucial for late-night novel sessions.
- Refrigerator: Handy for keeping drinks cool – you know, in case I wasn’t near a bar…
- Safety/security feature: Always appreciated.
- Satellite/cable channels: So many options, so little time.
- Scale: Nope. I avoided that evil thing.
- Seating area: Needed.
- Shower: Works great.
- Slippers: Ahh, cozy.
- Smoke detector: Safe!
- Socket near the bed: Genius!
- Sofa: Comfy for lounging.
- Soundproofing: Mostly successful. I did hear some other guests, but it’s a hotel, not a tomb.
- Telephone: For calling down for more coffee, obviously.
- Toiletries: The cheap ones. I always bring my own!
- Towels: Fluffy, absorbent.
- Umbrella: Essential for a UK getaway!
- Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Window that opens. Standard and useful.
The Room – The little things were great: I liked the lighting for doing my makeup, the beds were comfy, and everything was clean.
Food, Glorious Food…And Also, Drink!
Okay, the restaurants. Here's where things get interesting.
Dining, drinking, and snacking:
- A la carte in restaurant: Yep.
- Asian cuisine in restaurant, Asian breakfast: Yes!
- Bar, Bottle of water: Essential.
- Breakfast [buffet]: The usual suspects – pastries, eggs, bacon, fruit. A solid start to the day.
- Breakfast service: Yep, every am.
- Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop: Needed.
- Desserts in restaurant: Yes!
- Happy hour, Poolside bar: The perfect way to spend the afternoon!
- International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar. Check.
- Restaurants: Yeah!
- Room service [24-hour]: Winning.
- Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant. All great.
- Vegetarian restaurant, Vegetarian options. Always a plus!
- Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant. Yes!
My Dinner at the Restaurant: They had this absolutely incredible risotto that almost made me cry. (Okay, maybe I was just really hungry.) It was perfectly creamy, with just the right amount of… perfection. The service? Friendly and efficient, but not too pushy. I actually got to relax and enjoy my meal, which, in my experience, is a rare treat.
The bar: I spent a happy hour or two there, sampling cocktails and local ales. My companion ordered a perfect martini, so that was a big plus.
Relaxation & Spa Shenanigans (or, Lack Thereof):
Now, I love a spa. A good steam room can solve all of life’s problems…or at least, temporarily numb the ones you can't solve.
- Things to do, ways to relax:
- Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Massage, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom. Yes.
- Fitness center, Gym/fitness: Yep.
- Pool with view, Sauna, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]. All available.
Cleanliness & Safety – The "New Normal" (and My Slight Paranoia):
Cleanliness and safety:
- Anti-viral cleaning products: Good.
- Cashless payment service: Excellent.
- Daily disinfection in common areas: Essential.
- Doctor/nurse on call, First aid kit: Again, good.
- Hand sanitizer: Everywhere.
- Hot water linen and laundry washing: Necessary.
- Hygiene certification: Check.
- Individually-wrapped food options: Makes sense.
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter: They tried!
- Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays. All good.
- Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items. Crucial.
- Shared stationery removed: Makes sense.
- Staff trained in safety protocol: Hopefully.
- Sterilizing equipment: Yep.
My Thoughts: Look, let’s be real. I was nervous before I went. I’m still slightly paranoid about germs (thanks, pandemic!). The emphasis on cleanliness was definitely reassuring. You could tell they were taking it seriously. I mean, they probably went a bit overboard on the hand sanitizer. Honestly, my skin felt like I'd been swimming in a chlorine pool after a while. But hey, better safe than sorry, right?
For the Kids & Family:
- For the kids:
- Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal. Present.
Services & Conveniences – Because Life Gets Messy:
- Services and conveniences:
- **Air conditioning in public

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into a chaotic, glorious, and utterly real trip to the Cambria Hotel in Paignton, UK. Forget those perfectly manicured itineraries – this is more like a scrapbook exploded, full of spilled tea, questionable decisions, and the kind of memories that stick for years.
The Cambria Hotel: Paignton Pilgrimage - Aka My Sanity's Last Stand
Day 1: Arrival - AKA, "I Think I Left My Brain in Swindon"
- 14:00 - 15:00: Travel to Paignton. (Train from London. Sigh Train… the very epitome of British "efficiency".)
- Right, so, the train. Let’s just say it involved a grumpy old man with a newspaper the size of a small country, a screaming toddler who may have been powered by pure caffeine, and a delayed arrival that made me question everything I'd packed. (Seriously, why did I bring those sparkly platform boots? And why didn’t I pack more emergency chocolate?)
- Anecdote: Almost missed my stop because I was too busy trying to discreetly pick a rogue biscuit crumb off my… well, you get the idea. Paignton’s a seaside town, right? Not the train station… But hey, at least I made it.
- 15:00 - 16:00: Check-in at Cambria Hotel. Unload the bag (which, inexplicably, resembles a small cabin).
- God, the relief of finally ditching the baggage. The lobby's pretty swish, I'll give it that. Looks like a slightly modern, more colorful version of what my nan would think is "modern." They've got this weird, metal, bird sculpture, that stares at you, judging.
- Reception was pretty nice, bless them, given my generally flustered state. Checked in. Room keys. That's when the chaos really started.
- 16:00 - 17:00: Unpacking, room inspection, and a brief moment of existential dread.
- The room is… adequate. Clean, which is always a win. But the view? Oh, the view. Turns out, my "sea view" is more of a "glimpse of the sea between two buildings." The curtains were a bit… off-white, and they'd given me one of those mini-fridges that feel like a torture device.
- Quirky Observation: There's a mysterious stain on the carpet. I'm going to choose to believe it's a testament to a wild party and not something more sinister. Let the adventures begin!
- 17:00 - 18:00: Exploration of the hotel. Pub grub. Need sustenance.
- Alright, so the hotel itself. Very swish downstairs, the bar is a good vibe. They have a pool table. Might need a go on that later, if I can summon the energy.
- Ah, the pub. Needed food. Ordered some fish and chips. This became a quest and a half.
- Emotional Reaction: The fish? The chips? Absolute bliss. The kind of greasy, salty, perfect comfort food that makes you want to hug a stranger. Heaven!
- 18:00 - 20:00: Evening Walk Along the Coast.
- Rambles: Paignton is full of seagulls. They are massive, and incredibly brazen. They look you in the eye and plot your downfall. I am fairly certain I saw one steal a whole sausage roll today. Impressive, but terrifying. The air by the sea is thick with salt, the wind, and the faint, indefinable smell of vacation… along with the pungent odours of some type of industrial activity.
- The beach walk, I thought, would be all romantic sunsets and soul-searching. Nope. It was a blustery battle against the wind, me clinging to my scarf for dear life.
- Strong Emotional Reaction: The sea looked so vast and brooding. I swear, I nearly burst into tears from the sheer beauty and the crushing loneliness of being here alone. And then, I laughed at myself.
- 20:00 onwards: Early night. Journaling. Planning for the next day.
- Back to the room. Exhausted. Journaling. Maybe watch some TV. I have a strange fondness for "Escape to the Country" and "Pointless." Don't judge me.
Day 2: Devon Delights and Diving into Disaster
- 09:00 - 10:00: Breakfast at the hotel. (Attempt to navigate the breakfast buffet)
- The buffet… Oh, the buffet. Endless possibilities, and the inherent fear of making terrible food choices. I overdid the sausages, obviously. But, hey, the coffee was strong.
- Imperfection: This is where I may have caused a mini-incident. While attempting to get a muffin, I… well, let's just say I had a slight collision with an unsuspecting elderly gentleman. Apologies and a hurried retreat were in order.
- 10:00 - 13:00: Exploring Paignton Zoo:
- Okay, I'm no zoo expert, but this place was great. Elephants! Big cats! Monkeys flinging poo! (That's a slight exaggeration, maybe). Spent a glorious couple of hours just wandering around, feeling a little bit like a kid again.
- Opinionated: I don't know what they feed the giraffes, but they look utterly majestic.
- Emotional Reaction: There are few things more soul-soothing than the sound of an orangutan eating a piece of fruit.
- 13:00 - 14:00: Lunch at a local cafe. (Desperately seek something other than fish and chips).
- Found a cute little cafe with homemade sandwiches and a good selection of cakes. Succumbed to a cream tea. Obviously.
- Anecdote: Nearly ordered the "Devonshire Dream," which consisted of a scone, jam, cream and a whole pot of clotted cream. Thank goodness sense prevailed.
- 14:00 - 17:00: The Trip to the Sea:
- Rambles:
- This morning I went to the beach, the real beach. It was all sand, waves, and salty air. It was cold, and I was wearing the wrong clothes. More than that, I was deeply, deeply, aware of how very alone I was.
- I went for a walk along the beach, trying to get some perspective. I was trying to feel happy, but I was failing at it.
- Strong Emotional Reaction: It struck me that the sea is a symbol of every emotion: the joy, the freedom, the despair.
- Rambles:
- 17:00 - 18:00: Quick Trip to the Shops:
- Bought postcards. I always buy postcards. Then, I never send them. One day…
- Observation: Paignton has a lot of shops with the word "seashell" in their names. It's a thing.
- 18:00 onwards: Dinner at the Hotel. More drinks. Maybe that pool table?
- Went straight back to the hotel. I might have had too many gin and tonics. Spent the evening in the bar, talking to a sweet elderly bloke who loved his golf. He told me all about his wife, Brenda. He made me laugh.
- Anecdote: Managed to lose a few rounds of pool, spectacularly, before crashing out. I now have a new respect for the game.
- Messy Structure: The gin made talking to Brenda's husband about her really nice, and I felt less alone.
Day 3: Departure - "I Wish I'd Stayed Longer"
- 09:00 - 10:00: Breakfast again. (Hoping the sausages haven't run out).
- Same as yesterday, plus a slightly less humiliating interaction with the muffin cart.
- 10:00 - 11:00: Final Hotel Check-Out.
- Packing up, a small sob. Actually a pretty good hotel.
- I left a note to Brenda's husband about Brenda and the beach walk.
- 11:00 - 12:00: Last-Minute Souvenir Shopping.
- Quirky Observation: Found a shop with a ridiculous amount of plastic seagulls. Considered buying one as a "conversation starter." Thought better of it.
- 12:00 - 13:00: Lunch.
- Found a very good fish and chip shop. One last glorious salty hit before going.
- Emotional Reaction: Realised I didn

Cambria Hotel Paignton: Your Dream UK Getaway...Or Will It Be? FAQs (Brace Yourselves!)
Alright, so you're thinking of the Cambria Hotel in Paignton, huh? Smart move… or a move. Let's just say, Paignton itself is… well, it *exists.* And the Cambria? Buckle up, buttercups. Here's the lowdown, warts and all.
1. Is the Cambria Hotel actually near the beach? Because, you know, 'seaside holiday' and all that jazz.
Yes! And that’s honestly a major win. It's practically *on* the beach. Okay, maybe not *practically*, you'll still have to, like, *walk*. But it’s a stone's throw, a seagull's squawk away. Seriously, if you're picturing those long, sunny strolls, ice cream cones dripping all over your hands… yes, that's totally achievable. I remember one time, I literally threw open my window (a bit too enthusiastically, might I add) and almost flung myself onto the sand. Okay, maybe I exaggerate, but the proximity is a serious perk. Don't underestimate location, people! Location, location, LOCATION!
2. What’s the parking situation? Because driving in the UK is, well… an adventure.
Alright, this one's a mixed bag. They *do* have parking. But! It's not exactly a sprawling, multi-story paradise. Space is limited. Picture this: you arrive, exhausted from the drive (and the sheer terror of roundabouts), praying to the parking Gods for a spot. You circle… and circle… and *circle*. I vividly recall one occasion. It was raining sideways, my car was a battle zone of discarded snacks and map remnants, and I felt like I was starring in a badly-shot episode of *Parking Wars*. Thankfully, I *eventually* found a space. My advice? Get there early, or prepare for a brisk walk from a nearby public car park. Seriously, pack an umbrella and your patience. You'll need it.
3. Are the rooms…like, *nice*? Or are we talking damp walls and questionable stains?
Okay, the rooms are generally *decent*. Let's be clear, we're not talking Ritz-Carlton here. But they're clean-ish. Usually. I’ve had a few rooms there, and honestly, it's been a bit of a lottery. One time, the view was stunning – panoramic sea view, practically a postcard. Another time? Well, let's just say the view was the back of the hotel and a particularly enthusiastic air conditioning unit. The bathrooms are functional. The beds? Comfy enough for a good night's sleep, especially after a day of building sandcastles and dodging rogue seagulls (which is a sport, I swear!). Expect a bit of wear-and-tear – it *is* a coastal hotel, after all. But overall, they're perfectly acceptable. Just, you know, maybe pack a bit of your own Lysol wipes, just in case. You can never be too careful, especially post-pandemic.
4. What about food? Do they have a decent restaurant, or are we hitting up the local chippy every night? (Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you...)
Okay, the food... it's… there. They do have a restaurant, and it *is* convenient. Breakfast is your best bet – a pretty standard full English, pancakes, the works. Fuel up! You'll need it for all that walking (and parking related stress). Dinner? It's hit or miss, honestly. Sometimes it's surprisingly good. Other times... well, let's just say I've had meals I'd describe as "forgettable." Don't go expecting Michelin star dining. The chippy *is* a solid option. And hey, embracing the seaside vibe is part of the fun, right? Personally, I'd recommend venturing out a little for dinner. Paignton has some hidden gems. Ask the staff for recommendations – they usually know the good spots. And remember, you're on vacation! Don't be afraid to indulge.
5. Is the Wi-Fi any good? Because, you know, *work* (ugh) and staying connected with the world, despite wanting to escape it.
Ah, the eternal struggle: connectivity vs. unplugging. The Wi-Fi… it's… *present*. Let's be kind. It’s not exactly lightning fast. You might find yourself staring at that buffering wheel for a while. Good for basic browsing, checking emails, and maybe a quick scroll through social media. Don’t plan on streaming a whole movie marathon unless you possess the patience of a saint. Or maybe, just maybe, embrace the digital detox and actually, you know, *enjoy* your vacation. Read a book! Talk to your family! Stare at the sea! The possibilities are endless (and don't require a strong Wi-Fi signal). I had one trip where I swore off the internet completely. Best vacation ever. Highly recommended.
6. Are there any downsides I should be aware of? (Besides the parking, which, we get it.)
Okay, let's get real. Here's the lowdown on the not-so-perfect stuff. The noise. Seaside hotels can be noisy. You've got seagulls (they're relentless, I swear), and sometimes the guests are a bit…enthusiastic. Light sleepers, bring earplugs. The elevators… they're a bit slow and prone to being out of service (happened to me *twice*). Also, some of the décor is… well, let's just say it's not exactly cutting-edge design. It's functional, though. And the hotel is a bit tired in places. But the staff are usually friendly and helpful. And, again, the location is brilliant. So, weigh the pros and cons. It’s not flawless, but it's a decent base for exploring Paignton and the surrounding area. Don't go expecting perfection, though.
7. What's the deal with the "entertainment"? Is it karaoke and bingo, or… something else?
Ah, the entertainment. Okay. This is where things get… interesting. The entertainment at the Cambria? Let's just say it's… *of its time*. Think, well, bingo (yes, definitely bingo). Karaoke (prepare for some *interesting* vocal performances - in the best way possible). And sometimes, a live band. I remember one particular band. The leadTop Places To Stay

