
Escape to Paradise: Uncover the Hidden Gem of Villa Myremi, Ischia!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into Villa Myremi on Ischia. Forget the perfectly curated travel blogs – this is the REAL deal, warts and all. I'm talking about a messy, honest, and hopefully hilarious review designed to actually convince you to book a trip. And trust me, after spending a week there, I have opinions.
Escape to Paradise: Uncover the Hidden Gem of Villa Myremi, Ischia! – My Unvarnished Truth
First, the BIG question: Is it paradise? Well, yeah, mostly. Let's break this down.
Accessibility (and the occasional Stairway to Heaven…or Hell?)
Okay, let's be real. My legs are good, but I can't speak for everyone. Accessibility, is… variable. They say they have facilities for disabled guests, but Ischia itself? It's a mountain, my friends. Lovely, beautiful mountain, but mountains nonetheless. There's an elevator, which is a godsend. However, be prepared for cobblestone streets and the occasional uphill trudge. If you're in a wheelchair, PLAN AHEAD. Seriously. Call them, grill them. Get the nitty-gritty details. Because "accessible" can mean very different things depending on who you ask.
Wheelchair Accessible: Potentially, but ask ALL the questions.
Getting There & Getting Around: The Sweet & Sour Symphony of Travel
Airport transfer is worth its weight in gold. Especially after a flight. Consider it a must. Taxi Service is also readily available. Car park [on-site] is great but get a grip on Italian driving, or not. Car park [free of charge] is also available. Score!
Rooms and All Their Shiny Bits (and Not-So-Shiny Bits)
Alright, let's be honest – you're here for the room, right? They offer an amazing array of Available in all rooms:
- Air Conditioning: (Thank God, the Italian sun is no joke)
- Alarm Clock: (Because you'll need to wake up early to get a good spot by the pool)
- Bathrobes: (Fluffy, YES!)
- Bathroom phone: (Erm…)
- Bathtub: (Yes, I'm a sucker for a good soak)
- Blackout Curtains: (Essential for sleeping off all that Aperol Spritz)
- Carpeting: (Nice, felt luxurious)
- Closet: (Plenty of space for your luggage, which really helps)
- Coffee/tea maker & Complimentary tea (Always a win!)
- Daily housekeeping: (Excellent, because I'm messy)
- Desk: (If you must work. Which, c'mon, you shouldn't.)
- Extra long bed: (Super comfy!)
- Free bottled water (Bless them!)
- Hair dryer: (Powerful, thank the gods)
- High floor: (My room had a view, it was unreal)
- In-room safe box: (Always crucial)
- Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless (Excellent)
- Ironing facilities: (Because wrinkled linen is a fashion crime)
- Laptop workspace: (See above about not working)
- Linens: (Crisp, clean, I loved it)
- Mini bar: (Expensive, but tempting)
- Mirror: (For selfies, obviously)
- Non-smoking: (A blessed relief)
- On-demand movies: (A lifesaver for late nights)
- Private bathroom: (duh)
- Reading light: (Helpful)
- Refrigerator: (Handy for those delicious Italian goodies)
- Safety/security feature: (Always a good idea)
- Satellite/cable channels: (Meh)
- Scale: (I'm pretending they don't exist)
- Seating area: (Lovely for lounging)
- Separate shower/bathtub: (Luxury levels!)
- Shower: (Good pressure)
- Slippers: (A nice touch)
- Smoke detector: (Important)
- Socket near the bed: (Crucial for charging everything)
- Sofa: (For those pre-dinner Aperitivo moments)
- Soundproofing: (Generally decent, but you WILL hear the scooters)
- Telephone: (For room service, duh)
- Toiletries: (Good quality)
- Towels: (Plentiful and fluffy!)
- Umbrella: (Because you never know)
- Visual alarm: (Important)
- Wake-up service: (If you actually need it)
- Wi-Fi [free]: (Essential!)
- Window that opens: (The best part about being in Italy!)
Minor details:
- Additional toilet: (Perfect but some rooms didn't have)
- Interconnecting room(s) available: (Good for families)
- Smoke alarms: (They better have them!)
- Soundproof rooms: (They're pretty good at blocking out the noise)
The rooms are generally lovely. Clean, well-appointed. And my view? Oh, the view. Chef's kiss. They do have Non-smoking rooms, which is fantastic. Couple's room are nice too. Room decorations are nice and stylish.
Room sanitization opt-out available:** (good to have!)
Room sanitization between stays: (Also good to have!)
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: My Own Personal Italian Food Tour!
Okay, this is where Villa Myremi really shines. Food is an experience here. Forget the diet, embrace the pasta!
Restaurants: Oh, yes. Seriously, they have multiple. I'm not kidding.
My favorite experience:
The Poolside Bar: I spent an afternoon here and I tell you what, I wish I could go back!
The food and drinks? Magnificent.
Breakfast: Breakfast [buffet], Western breakfast, Asian breakfast. You name it. Croissants so flaky they practically disintegrated in your mouth. The coffee was strong, the orange juice tasted freshly squeezed, fruit, and more. Breakfast in room is available.
For the foodies A la carte in restaurant, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Desserts in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant, Salad in restaurant, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western cuisine in restaurant, Asian cuisine in restaurant.
For the Drinkers: Bar, Bottle of water, Happy hour, Poolside bar, Room service [24-hour], Snack bar.
The Food, the drinks, the atmosphere? Chef's Kiss.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Make a Big Difference
- Air conditioning in public area: Vital.
- Cash withdrawal: Convenient.
- Concierge: Helpful.
- Currency exchange: Helpful
- Daily housekeeping: Essential
- Doorman: Nice.
- Dry cleaning, Ironing service, Laundry service: Because I can't be bothered.
- Elevator: Thank God.
- Facilities for disabled guests: (See above, ask questions!)
- Food delivery: I didn't use it, but it's there.
- Luggage storage: Very useful.
- Meeting/banquet facilities: If you're that person.
- Safety deposit boxes: Necessary.
- Smoking area: Sigh.
- Terrace: Gorgeous views!
For the Kids (and the Kid in You)
- Family/child friendly. Mostly.
- Babysitting service: If you need it.
- Kids meal, Kids facilities.
- Pool with view (and no screaming kids!), Swimming pool [outdoor]
Things to Do, Ways to Relax: Get Your Spa On!
Okay, let's talk pampering. Because you need it after climbing those hills!
Spa: Amazing. Seriously, book a massage. Just do it. Massage: (See above!) Sauna, Spa/sauna, Steamroom: (All the relaxation!) Body scrub, Body wrap (If you're into that. I'm not judging.) Gym/fitness, Fitness center (For the overachievers) Foot bath, Swimming pool (Amazing)!
Cleanliness and Safety: The COVID Considerations (Because, You Know)
Okay, let's be responsible for a hot second. They take this seriously.
- Anti-viral cleaning products: Good.
- Breakfast takeaway service: Useful
- Cashless payment service: Smart

Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because you're about to embark on a highly unstructured, definitely opinionated, probably slightly hysterical virtual trip to Villa Myremi on Ischia Island. Get ready to sweat, because this isn't a pristine brochure; it's the chaotic diary of my trip, flaws and all.
Villa Myremi: Ischia Island – The Absolutely Unofficial Itinerary (aka, “How I Survived a Week in Paradise, Mostly”)
Day 1: Arrival & Panic Buying Aperol Spritz
- Morning (ish): Land in Naples. The airport is pure glorious chaos. People are shouting, bags are being wrestled, and I'm pretty sure I saw a chihuahua wearing tiny sunglasses. Immediately feel a surge of "Oh, I love this country!" and also "Oh god, I'm going to get pickpocketed." Find my pre-booked private transfer, which smelled suspiciously of lemons and desperation. Bonus points: the driver blasted Italian opera at full volume, which, honestly, was the perfect soundtrack to my burgeoning anxiety.
- Mid-Day: Ferry to Ischia. The boat is packed, the sea is a slightly nauseating shade of Mediterranean blue, and I'm pretty sure I saw a seagull give me the stink eye. Arrive at the port, my luggage is immediately lost somewhere.
- Afternoon: Finally arrive at Villa Myremi. It's… breathtaking. Seriously, the view of the sea is just… chef's kiss. The villa is gorgeous, dripping in bougainvillea and a very specific scent of old money. The welcome, however, is borderline cold. They showed me around with a sigh, and I think one of them was wearing a scarf indoors.
- Evening: The first thing I do? Panic buy Aperol Spritz, literally from the nearest convenience store. They were warm, and I may have spilled half of the first one. But as I sat on the terrace watching the sun bleed into the sea, with the second one in my hand, a sense of calm descends. Perhaps I'm going to like this place.
Day 2: Getting Lost, Finding Paradise (and a Near Death Experience from a Vespa)
- Morning: Determined to explore, I grabbed a map (that I immediately folded wrong) and set off on foot. I was planning to walk to a nearby beach but quickly became hopelessly lost in the narrow, winding streets of a small, charming, but deceptively identical village. After wandering for a bit, I found a hidden little shop that sells home-made gelato and pizza. I got both, and I don't regret any of it.
- Afternoon: Rented a Vespa. Big mistake. HUGE. I mean, the idea was idyllic – me, zipping along the coastal road, wind in my hair, feeling like Audrey Hepburn. The reality? Several near-death experiences involving steep hills, rogue buses, and a seemingly endless parade of other tourists on Vespas. I eventually parked the Vespa (very precariously, might I add) and walked the rest of the way. I decided to take a swim in a pool. The water was ice cold, so I quickly got out.
- Evening: Dinner at a seaside trattoria. The food was divine: fresh seafood, perfectly cooked pasta, and a bottle of local wine that went down a little too easily. I made friends with a group of elderly Italian gentlemen who apparently thought my attempts at speaking Italian were hilarious. They kept buying me shots of something that tasted suspiciously like grappa. I'm pretty sure I told them my entire life story.
Day 3: The Thermal Baths & Uncomfortable Intimacy (and a lot of mud)
- Morning: The famed thermal baths are everywhere on Ischia Island, so I had to find one! Off to a fancy thermal spa. The air smells of sulfur and serenity. I booked a mud bath and a massage. The mud bath was… intense. I was covered in thick, grey, slimy stuff, which was supposed to be good for my skin. It also looked like I had been digging in a quarry. The massage was all very relaxing until I accidentally slapped the masseuse's butt while turning. It was not a good look.
- Afternoon: Lounging by the pool, slowly sipping on a lemon granita. The rest of the day was spent in a blissful state of post-mud therapy, mostly attempting to maintain a vague semblance of decorum.
- Evening: Pizza night! The best pizza of my life – crispy crust, fresh tomatoes, and mozzarella so soft it practically melted on my tongue. Ordered a second pizza. No regrets.
Day 4: The Castle & The Cliffside Climb of Shame
- Morning: Visit to Castello Aragonese, the ancient castle on a volcanic island. It's worth visiting. The views of the sea were incredible.
- Afternoon: Decided to hike along a cliffside path. Because I'm incredibly intelligent. The path was narrow, rocky, and ridiculously steep. It was also HOT. I have a fear of heights, and I was clinging to the rocks like a desperate limpet. I cursed my bad decision-making skills (and my lack of proper hiking shoes). Made it back in one piece, but my legs were jelly, my mood was foul, and I was pretty sure I aged about a decade in the process.
- Evening: Tried to be sophisticated and ordered a very expensive seafood dish for dinner. The fish was whole, which meant staring at its dead eyes while eating it. I should've order pizza.
Day 5: Doubling Down: The Thermal Baths
- Morning: Realized I hadn't really embraced the thermal bath experience, only had the 20 minute mud bath, so I went back. This time it's a new place with a more… unique vibe. I spend the whole day doing thermal pools, and even a salt cave. I swear I lose ten pounds of water weight.
- Afternoon: Went back to the spa again for a massage. This time, I didn't slap anyone (success!).
- Evening: Slept like a baby.
Day 6: Boat Trip & the Great Pasta Debacle
- Morning: Booked a boat trip around the island. The water was the colour of a Tiffany box, the sun was blazing, and I got a truly hideous sunburn on my shoulders. The boat captain, a grizzled but charming Italian man, regaled us with stories of pirates and sunken treasure. I might have understood every third word, but I nodded enthusiastically anyway.
- Lunch: We stopped at a little cove for lunch, with fresh-caught seafood (again) and a pasta with a sauce so good it made me want to weep.
- Afternoon: Back at Villa Myremi, I got the urge to cook. I found some simple pasta sauce, bought some noodles, and did my best. Disaster. The pasta was overcooked, the sauce was bland, and I somehow managed to get tomato sauce EVERYWHERE. I ate it anyway.
- Evening: Wallowing in my pasta-making failure, I ordered takeout pizza and vowed to stick to eating professionally prepared food for the rest of the trip.
Day 7: Departure & the Lingering Taste of Limoncello
- Morning: Packing. I crammed everything in my suitcase, including a small collection of seashells and a lot of things I wouldn't need. Did one last stroll through the villa, trying to soak up every last bit of that incredible view.
- Afternoon: Farewell ferry to Naples. Another chaotic airport experience. Bought way too much duty-free limoncello. I'm pretty sure I spilled some on my shoes.
- Evening: Back home. Tired, sun-kissed, slightly sunburned, and with a lingering taste of limoncello on my tongue. All in all, it was absolute perfection. And, if you'll excuse me, I need to go plan my return trip. Because, let's be honest, that island has totally stolen my heart. And hopefully, I'll learn how to ride that blasted Vespa.
Final Thoughts: This is not a perfect place or a perfect trip. There were bumps, stumbles, and a whole lot of me just trying to navigate life. But Ischia, and Villa Myremi, it's got something special. It's got that magic, that thing that makes you forget about the world, even those times you get lost on a Vespa. So go. Get lost. Embrace the mess. And drink the Aperol Spritz. You'll thank me later. Or, you know, yell at me in Italian. Either way, it's an experience to remember.
D Esplanade Mall: Johor Bahru's BEST Kept Sweet Home Secret?
Okay, spill. Is Villa Myremi *really* paradise? I'm seeing a lot of beautiful photos... but you know, Insta versus reality, right?
Alright, alright, deep breaths. Paradise? Look, let's be honest, nothing's *perfect*, okay? And the photos? Yeah, they're stunning. But… reality? Well, let me tell you about my first morning. Woke up, sun streaming in, birds chirping... *then* I realized the espresso machine had a mind of its own. Refused to cooperate. Cue me stomping around in my pajamas, channeling my inner Italian Nonna, muttering about "technology this, technology that!" Eventually, after some serious finagling (read: violent button pressing), it yielded. And THAT, my friends, is the real Ischian experience. Gorgeous views, sure. But also: imperfect coffee, a slightly wonky internet connection, and the adorable little dog from next door who kept trying to steal my breakfast croissant. Paradise? Absolutely. Flawed, hilarious, and totally unforgettable paradise. Don't go expecting a photo shoot 24/7 - embrace the glorious mess!
What's the deal with getting around? Ischia sounds... complicated.
Oh, the getting around! God, where do I even begin? Okay, so, Villa Myremi, situated in a quieter area, which is part of its charm... and its headache-inducing transport situation. You *can* rent a car, but the roads are basically designed to test your driving skills (and your patience). And parking? Forget about it unless you’re prepared for a bloodbath. Then there's the bus: the EAV. It's... an adventure. Think rickety, crowded, and frequently late, but also incredibly charming and full of local life. You'll witness more Italian drama in an hour on that bus than you will in a lifetime of watching reality TV. Honestly, I went with a mix. The occasional taxi (expensive!), the brave (yet horrifying) rental car outing, and the bus. Embrace the chaos, laugh at the delays, and just *go with it*. You'll see more of the REAL Ischia that way. Just... bring water. And maybe a stress ball.
The food. Tell me *everything*! I'm already dreaming of pasta.
THE FOOD. Okay, breathe, deep breaths. Ischia... is a culinary MIRACLE. Forget your diets, your kale smoothies, your... whatever healthy things you're into. This is a place where pasta is a religion! The freshest seafood, the juiciest tomatoes, the olive oil that tastes like liquid gold… I gain five pounds just *thinking* about it. Villa Myremi? It has a fantastic kitchen, so if you're like me and enjoy cooking (or trying to cook), you're in luck. I *tried* to make a simple Caprese salad, and ended up somehow having a tomato explosion. The local markets are bursting with deliciousness. Don't miss the fresh mozzarella from a *caseificio* (cheese shop). Go to the harbor and watch the fishermen bring in their catch. Eat something. Anything. And don't be afraid to ask for recommendations. The locals *love* to talk about their food. Seriously, I think I had a whole conversation with a shopkeeper about the best way to cook octopus. And oh god, the *limoncello*...
Okay, I'm sold on the food. But what about stuff *to do*? Besides eating.
Alright, alright, tear yourself away from the pizza! Ischia is NOT just about eating (though, let’s be honest, a significant portion of my memories involve it). First, the beaches! Gorgeous, different vibes at each. Some are crowded, some are secluded. Then the thermal spas! Picture yourself, soaking in volcanic waters, feeling all your aches and pains melt away. It's pure bliss. Then there's Forio... the cliffside town that is a masterpiece. Walk, explore, get lost in the winding streets (seriously, get lost!). The Castello Aragonese, the old castle... that's a whole day - and well worth it. It’s old, atmospheric, slightly creepy (in the BEST way). And if you are feeling adventurous take a boat to Procida - it's colorful, authentic, and tiny. Honestly, wander around. Talk to people. Embrace the slow pace. That's the key. Don't try to cram everything in. Just… be. And maybe schedule in an extra day for recovering from all the, you know, *doing*! Because it's exhausting and amazing all at once.
Tell me *honestly*, what's the worst part of staying at Villa Myremi, or Ischia in general? Give me the dirt!
Alright. Deep breath. The worst part? Okay, here we go. In terms of Villa Myremi specifically? The slightly creaky floorboards at night. That tiny noise that somehow amplifies every single internal thought. Ischia in general? Well, the service can be… a tad laid-back. Things move at a *very* Italian pace. Which, is great, until you're waiting for your coffee, or for your water, or for the bill… or for the bus. You'll get used to it. I'm impatient, but learning to relax through some serious situations. And, okay, the mosquitos can be relentless, especially at dusk. Bring bug spray. Literally. And *accept* that things might not always go as planned. That's part of the charm, really! The most infuriating thing about Ischia? Leaving.
Is it good for families? I’m thinking of bringing my kids.
Mmm, family? Okay, let me think through this. Villa Myremi itself is lovely - the space is great, there's that pool, and it's peaceful enough that you could get some actual downtime. Kids? They'll be fine. Pool, beach, gelato... what more do you need? BUT... Ischia doesn't have your typical "kid-centric" things. There aren’t amusement parks – you won’t get that in this place. You will have to work harder to entertain the little terrors. Kids might get bored of the 'slower' pace. And that, my friends, will impact YOUR vacation. My advice? Be prepared with books, games, and, most importantly, a good dose of patience. Because your kids will have a blast – provided you don't lose your mind in the slow, beautiful pace. The real "family friendly" aspect is that it encourages quality time, disconnecting from all the distractions of everyday life. Consider that carefully.
Anything I should pack that isn’t obvious? Like a secret Ischia must-have?
A few things! Mosquito repellent, strong stuff. One pair of REALLY comfortable walking shoes. You'll be doing a lot of walking. A phrasebook. Knowing a few basic Italian phrases will go a long way! And, this is crucial: a small, reusable shopping bag. The markets are amazing, and you'll be buying all sorts of delicious things. Embrace the local shops, so that shopping bag will be essential. The secret weapon? A small notebook and aHotel Explorers

